Sunday, January 29, 2017

2016 Herpetological Year in Review – Part One (Mud Snakes in Arkansas)



Mark and I seldom have time to participate in as many herping (herpetological) adventures as we he would like.   The herping highlights for 2016 were mud snakes in Arkansas and hognose snakes in Ohio.    This posting is regarding the mud snakes in Arkansas.
 
Juvenile Western Mud Snake
Juvenile Western Mud Snake    
 
Juvenile Western Mud Snake (Another Angle)
Juvenile Western Mud Snake (Another Angle)

 
Our June trip to Arkansas was not planned.  Mark and I were packed and ready to go to Charleston, South Carolina, when I received a call from my sister.   My mother, Emily, was in the hospital.  We quickly changed our plans and started driving to northeast Texas.    We were able to spend a short time with my wonderful mother before she passed away.  After a heartbreaking and stressful week, we decided that we needed a side trip.   Mark wanted to look for mud snakes, and I wanted to experience the scenic beauty (and delicious barbecue) of Arkansas.

Before we left, we stopped at the Walmart for rakes and mud boots.  The cashier mentioned that it was gardening season again, and she also needed some boots.  Mark said that he was using them to look for snakes.   She gave him a strange look as she handed him the receipt.

As we drove to Arkansas, Mark excitedly talked  about mud snakes and crayfish snakes.   We stopped at a boggy area.  Mark exclaimed, “We’re here!” He unloaded his net, rake, and mud boots.  I pulled out my chick-lit novel, crossword puzzle book, and reading glasses.   As Mark raked for mud snakes, I read my book and did crossword puzzles.  Finally, Mark came back and told me of his finds: mud snake, crayfish snake, and lesser sirens.

 
Bog
Bog Where Mark Raked for Mud Snakes

 
Gulf Marsh Crayfish Snake

Gulf Marsh Crayfish Snake


Lesser Siren


We spent the night in Oklahoma, and then drove into Kansas.   Mark had a herping destination near Wilson Lake.   While Mark was looking through a low area, I caught a Texas Horned Lizard by the side of the road.   I was calling for him to come back and take a picture of it, but he didn’t hear me.   I was able to hold it until he returned.  

Texas Horned Lizard
Texas Horned Lizard (in Mark’s hands)

As we were leaving Wilson State Park, I suggested that we drive into Wilson for kolaches.   I explained that kolaches were Czechoslovakian pastries. I had discovered the Made From Scratch restaurant on another trip.   After a delicious lunch, we drove back to Colorado.  

After we returned to Colorado, Mark started scratching.  He had poison ivy.  I sighed and thought, “Just for once, I would like to take a trip that doesn’t involve calamine lotion.”

Part two will cover our Ohio trip, where we looked for the Eastern Hognose snake.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment