Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Ohio Salamander Migration

The following post was written by my herping husband Mark.

I traveled to the hinterlands of Ohio in hopes of witnessing the Great Salamander Migration. During the months of March and April, the Yellow spotted salamander (Amystoma maculatum) emerges from the frozen leafy forest floor to migrate to vernal ponds. The Yellow spotted salamander is not alone in this annual ritual, but is accompanied by other companionable amphibians such as the Small-mouthed salamander (Ambystoma texanum), the Jefferson salamander (Ambystoma jeffersonianum), the Eastern Red Eft, the Spring Peeper (Hyla crucifer), and the Western Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata). 


Small-mouthed Salamander
This Small-mouthed salamander is held by a teenage girl who was quite enthusiastic about wading through knee deep freezing water in search of nature's little gems. 

Jeanie's Comment:  I was happy not to be in knee deep freezing water.


Spring Peeper

I had trouble with the camera focus for this shot, but the telltale signs of the Hyla crucifer can be determined by the cross on the frog's back. The Spring Peeper ranges in size from a dime to a quarter.


Western Chorus Frog

The triangular snout of the Western Chorus Frog brings back fond memories. Children waded through the shallows of our dark vernal pond, passing this Chorus frog back and forth by flashlight. 

With high hopes,  I set out toward the Stratford Preserve expecting to witness my first Yellow spotted salamander migration. By report, the clay driveway has been littered with hundreds and hundreds of these tiny black salamanders making their way to the mating ponds. 

I flipped fallen logs and did manage to find a male yellow spotted salamander. I staged my land dwelling salamander against a yellow leafed backdrop and another shot against a moss covered log. 


Yellow Spotted Salamander
Yellow Spotted Salamander on Mossy Bed



For those of you who live in the South, you may recognize this vernal pool as having Cypress knees. This photo was taken at Dawes Arboretum in Ohio. However, the yellow salamanders have adapted to the northern Cypress pools and mate here every year. 

Cypress Knees in Eastern Ohio 
In addition to my nocturnal forays, I did visit with my parents and we toured a Conservatory with a Butterfly Pavilion. 

Tropical Butterfly

Next year, I hope to witness a full migration, and add photos of Red Efts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment